- Category: Oceanfire
- Published: Saturday, 17 December 2016 02:00
- Written by Super User
- Hits: 7755
Cinnamon Plank Cooking
Oceanfire Cinnamon Planks are made from organic cinnamon trees growing on the slopes of Mauna Loa overlooking the ocean on Adaptations Farm.
They can be used on charcoal grills, gas grills and in any type of oven. The basic instructions are the same for all methods.
1. Soak the cinnamon planks in water (you can also use wine and teas) for 2 to 4 hours. The planks must be completely covered and surrounded with water. Skewers or table knives can be used, if needed, to allow water to flow between planks if stacked on each other.
2. Prepare any food you plan to cook and allow to marinate if needed.
3. Start the grill or oven early enough to be a cooking temperature when putting planks in.
4. Once the planks are soaked and the grill is hot. Warm the planks on both sides by putting them on the grill or in the oven for about 5 minutes. This will prevent warping or at least show which way the wood may bend.
You are ready to put the food on the planks and begin your creation.
5. Remove warm planks from grill and put on tray. Directly on the plank put any seasoning or flavorful items like garlic, lemon rinds, onions and spices.
Whatever you put here will be steamed into your food, intensifying the flavor.
6. Now place your food, such as fish, chicken or meats or vegetarian fare on top of the flavorings. Once all the planks are prepared you are ready to cook.
7. For charcoal grills, push the coals to one side of the grill and place the planked food on the other side. Lower the air flow until just a thin stream of smoke escapes. Keep the top tightly on the grill and do not look inside for at least 20 minutes. For gas grills, turn burners off on the side you place the planks. For oven planking use a tray with edges and fill with ½ “ of water after placing the planks on. Set temperature to 350.
8. Remove and serve by placing the whole plank with food on a plate
Link to classic salmon cedar planking
A basic Howcast you tube video on planking and cleaning plank